We had a fascinating and rich workshop with Olga Zvontsova this weekend. Both days were attended by more than 30 people and we worked very hard and learned a lot. Olga started us with detailed instructions about the hands and feet in order that the arms and legs worked better, and we then applied these string and stable limbs into a variety of standing poses, inversions and backbends. We learned about the Munis, or ‘Wisdom’ points in the hands and feet, and also about the fire and water elements of asana. A big thank-you to Olga for her inspiring teaching.
We are proud to welcome Olga Zvontsova to Istanbul!
The name of Iyengar Yoga has spread all over the world bringing his detailed, sophisticated and profound method to millions of practitioners.
Senior Iyengar teacher, Olga Zvontsova’s calm, friendly and witty approach to sharing the subject of yoga is not to be missed.
Olga’s yoga journey started 20 years ago and she came to Iyengar Yoga 13 years ago. Over the last 11 years she has on many occasions studied intensively with the Iyengars in Pune, India. She is now a well known and well traveled teacher having taught in many countries including Russia, India, Indonesia, Italy, Greece and Bulgaria – where she is also known and loved as a teacher trainer.
She is delighted to come to Istanbul and share her passion for yoga with you!
November 19th, Saturday 10.30-13.30
A healthy body and posture for symmetry, balance and alignment:
Standing poses to balance the body and mind.
Twisting poses to massage and regenerate the internal organs
November 20th, Sunday 10.30-13.30
Backbends which bring power and flexibility as well as opening up the heart area bringing happiness and lightness.
Saturday or Sundat only: 175TL credit card, 150TL cash
Saturday and Sunday together: 310TL credit card, 270TL cash
Bookings: Tel: 02123439310 GSM: 05304189503 e-mail: email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org
New year is here. If you would like to invest in your body and yourself this year, here are 10 reasons why you should do Iyengar Yoga;
- Align Yourself! Iyengar Yoga is based on your body alignment. Our Modern life-styles and our bad habits play havoc with our alignment. Give your body a chance to re – discover an alignment that allows you to function at your best.
- Stand straight! A healthy, aligned spine that has strength and flexibility will sustain you to meet the physical challenges of daily life.
- Breathe! During Iyengar Yoga you will learn to breathe normally even when you are tired. This will help you stay calm even during hard times.
- Calm Down! The savasana (corpse pose) performed at the end of an Iyengar Yoga class is nothing like you have experienced before – it is deeply relaxing and will refresh and rejuvenate you.
- Stay in the moment! During an Iyengar Yoga class the teacher will be giving you many instructions to perform the Asana (yoga pose) correctly. This will encourage you to concentrate on your body and your breath – you will not have any time to think about anything else and will remain in the moment.
- Be Conscious! You will become more deeply aware of your own body and your consciousness. This has the potential to gradually extend into your daily life.
- Relax, you are in safe hands! Each Iyengar Yoga teacher has gone through a long and thorough training and has been doing yoga for many years. The training includes dealing with different health problems. All Iyengar teachers must have had a regular study of yoga for a minimum of 3 years before they may start the 2 year training programme and in practice they usually will have done a lot more by the time they are qualified.
- Never say ‘I can’t do yoga’! The genius of BKS Iyengar was that he devised ways of working with belts, blocks, bricks ropes, etc so that all body shapes and types (including very stiff or unfit bodies) may have access to the poses.
- Love Yourself! During an Iyengar Yoga class your body will extend, expand and you will feel muscles that you never felt before. The best place to get to know yourself is the yoga mat, where you can recognise and accept your difficulties as well as your capabilities. Without them you wouldn’t have been you!
- Renew Yourself! Iyengar Yoga gives you regular rewards as long as you are able to receive them; joy, health, confidence, balance, courage, love, gratitude, flexibility, decisiveness, awareness are only some of them. Yoga is vast, the more you learn the more you realise you have yet to learn. It is regenerating through and through.
N. Sine Ozsoy
Improve your yoga with this inspiring and strengthening workshop.
Friday 29th January 19:30 – 21:30
Connect to the Earth with strengthening and renewing standing poses
Saturday 30th January 10:30 – 13:30
The hip joints are fundamental to the way we move around. Good function of the hip joint is a powerful tool for saving our backs and knees from the stresses of modern life. This workshop offers a great opportunity for beginners and more experienced students to get the clues for improved hip function.
Sunday 31st January 10:30 – 13:30
Backbends work to increase the flexibility of the spine. They also help to stimulate positive emotions. This session will be a wonderful way to bring these qualities for an uplifting Sunday morning.
Friday + Saturday + Sunday (full workshop): 280TL (credit card), 250TL (cash)
Friday evening class: 80TL (credit card), 70TL (cash)
Saturday or Sunday single class:125TL (credit card), 110TL (cash)
Saturday and Sunday together: 225TL (credit card), 200TL (cash)
e-mail: email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar (14 December 1918 – 20 August 2014)
Today would have been Guruji’s 97th Birthday were he still alive and today we humbly pay homage to the great Guru and master. Iyengar’s imprint on contemporary yoga is unparalleled and his 80 plus years of unceasing work have given countless millions of people a taste of the nectar of yoga.
I just returned from ‘Yoganusasanam’, Geeta Iyengar’s 70th birthday celebration intensive course.
Held in an enormous badminton arena on the outskirts of Pune, this event had over 1200 participants from 57 countries. The course lasted 10 days and in this time Geetaji gave us a firm foundation in basic Asanas in order to prepare for Pranayama which we spent more time on as the event progressed. The title of the event is the first of Patanjali’s yoga sutras and translates as ‘Here begins a detailed exposition of the sacred art of yoga’. There was a rich involvement of yoga philosophy throughout the thoroughly practical course. Coming as this event did so soon after the passing of Guruji BKS Iyengar, there were many moving references to the great man and his work as well as special tributes to him from his Granddaughter Abhijata and Geeta.
Several things stood out, I had been wondering how this many people would be able to all participate meaningfully together in one event but actually, due to the remarkably intelligent and responsive nature of the organising team, it felt like we were all joined together in exploring some of the important aspects of yoga. But the real force behind the success of the event was Geetaji herself – she was in inspired form and with her inimitable combination of deep knowledge of the subject, razor sharp perception of the students in front of her, and her compassion and humour, she inspired all of us to work hard and to learn.
Rarely have I been somewhere where people were so friendly and smiley, old friendships being rekindled and new ones forged in the breaks between classes and over the delicious Indian lunches served to us. I was asked as a representative of Turkey to speak about Iyengar yoga in Turkey and this formed, along with nine other countries, the basis of an afternoon’s presentation that highlighted the variety of people’s experiences in different parts of the world (yoga being banned by Islamic clerics in Malaysia for example). A heartfelt thanks to all who made this wonderful event possible.
Iyengar Yoga Workshop with Highly Experienced Teacher Sheila Haswell, 10th – 12th October
This will be Sheila’s third time in Istanbul, a two and a half day workshop to help deepen your practice.
Sheila has over 30 years of teaching experience with a wealth of knowledge to give. Although approachable and humorous she has a determination to encourage students to realise their potential.
Sheila has worked with the Iyengar family on many occasions.
Day 1 – Friday 10th October 18:30 – 21:00
Day 2 – Saturday 11th October 10:30 – 12:30, 13:30 – 16:00
‘Grace and Strength’
Working with standing asanas to access the potential for simultaneous grace and strength.
Day 3 – Sunday 12th October 09:30 – 11:30
Backbends to enliven your spine
Friday evening 60TL (credit card), 50TL (cash)
Saturday all day 185TL (credit card), 160 (cash)
Sunday morning 100TL (credit card), 85TL (cash)
Whole workshop 310TL (credit card), 275TL (cash)
We lost our teacher, our light on our path and the person who made yoga accessible to the world. His teachings will continue through us and our students. Sleep well Guruji.
You can do this asana series early in the morning or in the evening after work to rejuvenate. Practice Ujayi breathing as you perform each asana. Stay as long as you like concentrating on breath and allow the asanas to cool your body and mind.