New year is here. If you would like to invest in your body and yourself this year, here are 10 reasons why you should do Iyengar Yoga;
- Align Yourself! Iyengar Yoga is based on your body alignment. Our Modern life-styles and our bad habits play havoc with our alignment. Give your body a chance to re – discover an alignment that allows you to function at your best.
- Stand straight! A healthy, aligned spine that has strength and flexibility will sustain you to meet the physical challenges of daily life.
- Breathe! During Iyengar Yoga you will learn to breathe normally even when you are tired. This will help you stay calm even during hard times.
- Calm Down! The savasana (corpse pose) performed at the end of an Iyengar Yoga class is nothing like you have experienced before – it is deeply relaxing and will refresh and rejuvenate you.
- Stay in the moment! During an Iyengar Yoga class the teacher will be giving you many instructions to perform the Asana (yoga pose) correctly. This will encourage you to concentrate on your body and your breath – you will not have any time to think about anything else and will remain in the moment.
- Be Conscious! You will become more deeply aware of your own body and your consciousness. This has the potential to gradually extend into your daily life.
- Relax, you are in safe hands! Each Iyengar Yoga teacher has gone through a long and thorough training and has been doing yoga for many years. The training includes dealing with different health problems. All Iyengar teachers must have had a regular study of yoga for a minimum of 3 years before they may start the 2 year training programme and in practice they usually will have done a lot more by the time they are qualified.
- Never say ‘I can’t do yoga’! The genius of BKS Iyengar was that he devised ways of working with belts, blocks, bricks ropes, etc so that all body shapes and types (including very stiff or unfit bodies) may have access to the poses.
- Love Yourself! During an Iyengar Yoga class your body will extend, expand and you will feel muscles that you never felt before. The best place to get to know yourself is the yoga mat, where you can recognise and accept your difficulties as well as your capabilities. Without them you wouldn’t have been you!
- Renew Yourself! Iyengar Yoga gives you regular rewards as long as you are able to receive them; joy, health, confidence, balance, courage, love, gratitude, flexibility, decisiveness, awareness are only some of them. Yoga is vast, the more you learn the more you realise you have yet to learn. It is regenerating through and through.
N. Sine Ozsoy