Geeta Iyengar is the oldest daughter of BKS Iyengar and is currently the director of the RIMIYI in Pune. A lifelong practice under the guidance of her father has made her one of the world’s pioneering yoga masters. she is the author of ‘Yoga: A gem for women’ and Preliminary Course 1 & 2. She is an inspirational figure and we wish her a very happy birthday.
This is the moment when all eight of the trainees, who have been working hard for the last three years, found out that they passed their Introductory Assessments! That means that Iyengar yoga can grow faster and reach more students. Well done to all of them! And a big thanks to Sheila Haswell, who has expertly guided them through the process.
The students are:
The current timetable of Iyengar Yoga Classes in Istanbul from brand new introductory teachers are listed below. Classes can be conducted both in English & Turkish.
You can find these classes at Yogatime in Sisli, at Hariom near Kadikoy and at Githa Yoga near Taksim. Also there are classes in Bahçeşehir at Yoga Prana
Here is a timetable for the week beginning 2nd – 8th October as an example:
|Monday||07:30 – 09:00||Yoga Prana||Pınar|
|Tuesday||09:00 – 10:30||Hariom||Arina|
|Tuesday||18:30 – 19:45||Yogatime||Pınar|
|Tuesday||20:00 – 21:30||Hariom||Çiçek|
|Thursday||10:00 – 11:30||Yoga Prana||Pınar|
|Saturday||10:00 – 11:30||Yogatime||Ced|
|Sunday||11:00 – 12:30||Hariom||Özgün|
We had a fascinating and rich workshop with Olga Zvontsova this weekend. Both days were attended by more than 30 people and we worked very hard and learned a lot. Olga started us with detailed instructions about the hands and feet in order that the arms and legs worked better, and we then applied these string and stable limbs into a variety of standing poses, inversions and backbends. We learned about the Munis, or ‘Wisdom’ points in the hands and feet, and also about the fire and water elements of asana. A big thank-you to Olga for her inspiring teaching.
We are proud to welcome Olga Zvontsova to Istanbul!
The name of Iyengar Yoga has spread all over the world bringing his detailed, sophisticated and profound method to millions of practitioners.
Senior Iyengar teacher, Olga Zvontsova’s calm, friendly and witty approach to sharing the subject of yoga is not to be missed.
Olga’s yoga journey started 20 years ago and she came to Iyengar Yoga 13 years ago. Over the last 11 years she has on many occasions studied intensively with the Iyengars in Pune, India. She is now a well known and well traveled teacher having taught in many countries including Russia, India, Indonesia, Italy, Greece and Bulgaria – where she is also known and loved as a teacher trainer.
She is delighted to come to Istanbul and share her passion for yoga with you!
November 19th, Saturday 10.30-13.30
A healthy body and posture for symmetry, balance and alignment:
Standing poses to balance the body and mind.
Twisting poses to massage and regenerate the internal organs
November 20th, Sunday 10.30-13.30
Backbends which bring power and flexibility as well as opening up the heart area bringing happiness and lightness.
Saturday or Sundat only: 175TL credit card, 150TL cash
Saturday and Sunday together: 310TL credit card, 270TL cash
Bookings: Tel: 02123439310 GSM: 05304189503 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com
New year is here. If you would like to invest in your body and yourself this year, here are 10 reasons why you should do Iyengar Yoga;
- Align Yourself! Iyengar Yoga is based on your body alignment. Our Modern life-styles and our bad habits play havoc with our alignment. Give your body a chance to re – discover an alignment that allows you to function at your best.
- Stand straight! A healthy, aligned spine that has strength and flexibility will sustain you to meet the physical challenges of daily life.
- Breathe! During Iyengar Yoga you will learn to breathe normally even when you are tired. This will help you stay calm even during hard times.
- Calm Down! The savasana (corpse pose) performed at the end of an Iyengar Yoga class is nothing like you have experienced before – it is deeply relaxing and will refresh and rejuvenate you.
- Stay in the moment! During an Iyengar Yoga class the teacher will be giving you many instructions to perform the Asana (yoga pose) correctly. This will encourage you to concentrate on your body and your breath – you will not have any time to think about anything else and will remain in the moment.
- Be Conscious! You will become more deeply aware of your own body and your consciousness. This has the potential to gradually extend into your daily life.
- Relax, you are in safe hands! Each Iyengar Yoga teacher has gone through a long and thorough training and has been doing yoga for many years. The training includes dealing with different health problems. All Iyengar teachers must have had a regular study of yoga for a minimum of 3 years before they may start the 2 year training programme and in practice they usually will have done a lot more by the time they are qualified.
- Never say ‘I can’t do yoga’! The genius of BKS Iyengar was that he devised ways of working with belts, blocks, bricks ropes, etc so that all body shapes and types (including very stiff or unfit bodies) may have access to the poses.
- Love Yourself! During an Iyengar Yoga class your body will extend, expand and you will feel muscles that you never felt before. The best place to get to know yourself is the yoga mat, where you can recognise and accept your difficulties as well as your capabilities. Without them you wouldn’t have been you!
- Renew Yourself! Iyengar Yoga gives you regular rewards as long as you are able to receive them; joy, health, confidence, balance, courage, love, gratitude, flexibility, decisiveness, awareness are only some of them. Yoga is vast, the more you learn the more you realise you have yet to learn. It is regenerating through and through.
N. Sine Ozsoy
Improve your yoga with this inspiring and strengthening workshop.
Friday 29th January 19:30 – 21:30
Connect to the Earth with strengthening and renewing standing poses
Saturday 30th January 10:30 – 13:30
The hip joints are fundamental to the way we move around. Good function of the hip joint is a powerful tool for saving our backs and knees from the stresses of modern life. This workshop offers a great opportunity for beginners and more experienced students to get the clues for improved hip function.
Sunday 31st January 10:30 – 13:30
Backbends work to increase the flexibility of the spine. They also help to stimulate positive emotions. This session will be a wonderful way to bring these qualities for an uplifting Sunday morning.
Friday + Saturday + Sunday (full workshop): 280TL (credit card), 250TL (cash)
Friday evening class: 80TL (credit card), 70TL (cash)
Saturday or Sunday single class:125TL (credit card), 110TL (cash)
Saturday and Sunday together: 225TL (credit card), 200TL (cash)
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com
Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar (14 December 1918 – 20 August 2014)
Today would have been Guruji’s 97th Birthday were he still alive and today we humbly pay homage to the great Guru and master. Iyengar’s imprint on contemporary yoga is unparalleled and his 80 plus years of unceasing work have given countless millions of people a taste of the nectar of yoga.